Background Effects with Graph'It Markers

This week's challenge over at the Graph'It Markers Blog is all about creating Backgrounds and Background Effects.  So I decided to have a wee play; I took a sheet of my Ultimate Graphics Paper and using the chisel end of my 9909 Black Marker turned the page Black. I then took my Spirograph Mask and sprayed some Mix'It Fluid through the mask onto the paper and left it for a few seconds, before moving the mask and spraying another area.
I then decided to add some colour.  Using my 5245 Ruby Marker I coloured through the mask with the chisel tip.  I then moved it and did another area.  My mask was now a nice shade of red so I sprayed it with Mix'It Fluid over one area of the paper, before turning it over and putting onto another part of the paper.  I then layed a sheet of copy paper over and give it a good rub.  This transferred some of the red ink from the mask onto my paper creating a more subtle effect.

I then put the paper to one side and left it dry.  If you get any excess ink on your mask, table or hands you can use the Mix'It Fluid on a piece of tissue to clean up. As you can probably guess, I'm a messy crafter!

Once my paper was dry it was time to cut it down into workable pieces.  I decided to cut some 3" square focusing on areas of the paper where I really like the patterns i'd created.  I ended up with 6 squares and some offcuts.  I chose the 4 squares I liked the most and matted them onto layers of red, white and a darker red card before adding them to a 8 x 8 card blank.

At this point I decided not to add an image to my card, as I didn't want to cover up too much of the patterned paper I'd created.  I added a couple of strips of Washi Tape to 2 of the squares before stamping my sentiment.

I found a 'Thank You' rubber stamp in my stash and coloured it with 5245 with the addition of a little 9909, before spraying it with Mix'It Fluid and stamping it onto some white card.  I liked the washed out effect it created but wanted to add a bit more definition to my sentiment.  So using 9909 I coloured the stamp again and stamped over the original impression.  I matted and layered the sentiment onto card stock in the same manner as my background paper, before adding it to the card with some foam pads for dimension.

Here's the finished card;
I think it turned out pretty dramatic.  Looking at it you'd think i'd used more supplies than two coloured markers, some Mix'It Fluid and a Stencil.  Just shows you don't need a massive collection of pens to start off with; if you add the Mix'It Fluid to your collection it opens up lots of different techniques you can try and hours of messy fun.

Why not have a play with your alcohol markers and see what background effects you can come up with, if you need more inspiration hop over to the Graph'It Markers Blog to check out the creations from the rest of the DT and to find out what prize you could win by entering our challenge.

Thanks for visiting with me today
Happy Colouring
Suzi
xxx

Comments

Claire said…
Hi Suzi, wow that background is fab! Love it
Claire xx