Whimsical Portrait on Canvas...not a stamp in sight!

Today I'd like to share with you something completely different.  It's a Whimsical Portrait that I've drawn & painted on Canvas.  I can't remember the last time I actually created something based on my own drawing, so I hope you like it.

I did a quick Step by Step, you let you see how it progressed, however looks like I forgot to take pictures of it's earliest beginning.

Step 1 -  Painted 8 x 8 inch Canvas with Green Acrylic (planned on this being my background colour). Sketched Whimsical Portrait onto Canvas. Painted Head and Neck in Gesso.

Step 2 - Added detail to face and hair with Faber Castell PITT Pens, added Orange Gelatos to background area for contrast.

Step 3 -  Collaged pieced of Copper textured paper to background, covering some of the hair especially the area where the Gesso was very noticable.  Added wash of Gesso to who piece.  Redefined Hair and Facial features with PITT Pens.

Step 4 - Added Die Cut Hearts to the background, followed by a wash of Magenta Dr Ph's Acrylic Ink to background and hair.  More details added to face and hair with PITT Pens and Derwent Inktense Pencils.

Step 5 - Outlined Stars and Portrait with Derwent Inktense Pencils.  Added more details to hair with PITT Pens, Gold Pearlidoodles, Green Glitter Paint and Prismacolor Pencils.  Added Gold Pearlidoodles to Stars with dots around each star.  Added Gold Pearlidoodles to Eyes along with details in PITT Pen and Prismacolor Pencils.

Step 6 - Finished Portrait with addition of more coloured pencils to face.  Here's a close up.

I'm pretty happy with the finished canvas, I love most of it, although not too sure about the Gold on the Eye.  I decided this was probably a good time to say the canvas was finished before I started to overwork it anymore.

I had so much fun with this canvas, and I'm really pleased to see that my drawing skills aren't quite as rusty as I thought.  It does afterall look like a human.

I hope you've enjoyed this project as much as I did, remember the most important thing about creating any sort of craft/art work is to have fun.  There are no right and wrong ways to do things, just results you like or dislike.

Happy Crafting All
Bye for now
Suzi
xxx

I'd like to enter this project into the following challenges;

Comments

Sandra Wright. said…
Truly a work of art..a masterpiece.Love the image and how you have built up the background.
A fabulous entry for our challenge this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..Thank you so much for joining us...x
Jane Royston said…
A fabulous work of art! Love your step by step photos they really show how the project developed. Thank you for joining us at Creative Artiste this month, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk/
Kristie Maynard said…
Lovely, I loved seeing the progression of the piece and think you stopped at the right point. I like the eyes very much, so you surely didn't stop to late. Thanks for participating in the Not Just Cards Challenge.
FiKenward said…
Wow what a stunning piece of Art, thanks for playing along with us over at http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
{S} said…
this is fantastic!
I enjoyed seeing your progression to super finished art! Thank you for joining us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit Challenge this month.